Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Jan-Werner Muller's Book is Very Good


I have now reviewed a baker's dozen worth of books on democratic theory and closely related subjects for 3:16 AM Magazine since about the time COVID-19 started to amuse itself around the world by messing with human beings. Most of these books have seemed to me quite good, somehow managing to add a section or two to the vast quilt of sometimes useful information on self-governing that has gradually accumulated since Plato's time. For it's worth, I think this one may be the best of this little batch. There is just something...I don't know...wise--or maybe farsighted--about Muller's way of handling the issues. He seems to have a solid understanding of pretty much everything that needs to be reckoned with for a reasonable comprehensive theory to emerge. Not only does he consider all the possible counter-examples to views he suggests, he doesn't simply bat them away: he takes them into account. I suppose part of this vibe might be attributed to stylistic elegance. But it infuses the substance as well.

Anyhow, that's enough kvelling. My complete review can be found 
here.
 

 

 

No comments: